Waffles, a kid favorite as well as the big kids, meaning mom and dad! The good thing about a recipe like this is you can always freeze what you do not eat! I always try to go to the farmers market close by my house on Thursdays, I go with the mind set of what looks good, what is in season and what can I make!
This visit I bought fresh eggs, they are so so good at the farmers market, the yolks are bright orange and the eggs are huge! The strawberries looked so good as well as the citrus, so coming home with those items plus a few more I decided on waffles!
I also had some buttermilk in my fridge that needed to be used, I hate waste! I’m also thinking these waffles can be for breakfast or snack, or my favorite fried chicken and waffles for dinner! Just leave out the berries if you think no, but I like them I think they add just a sweet enough texture, and the orange zest a brightness that I love! Get some berries, make some waffles and smother it all in sugar, cream and syrup! YUM!
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, organic if possible
- 2 cups all- purpose flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons ricotta cheese, full fat
- ½ stick butter melted, let cool a bit
- 1 teaspoon good vanilla, or vanilla bean seeds from vanilla bean
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 small orange zested, with 1 tablespoon juice from orange
- Maple syrup! Powdered sugar!
- Cut strawberries in quarters, save a few for garnish
- Mix dry ingredients together in separate bowl, add strawberries
- Melt butter, then add eggs and rest of ingredients to dry mixture up to vanilla, add half of the orange zest to mix saving half for the cream.
- Mix cream, start on slower speed then go higher or you will be covered in cream as well as your waffle! Add juice and zest while mixing till soft peaks form, set in fridge while making waffles.
- Get waffle iron hot, spray with non- stick, pour batter into iron, close and let alone for at least 3 minutes, now this can vary pending your waffle iron? You just want that crispy waffle, not floppy!
- Top with fresh strawberries, maple syrup, cream and powdered sugar!