This buttermilk fried chicken salad was inspired by a couple things: my mom’s fried chicken and my husband. Although this salad is not without the calories, it does not have a ton of carbs. I try to prepare a few meals a week for my husband that are lower in carbs.
My mom’s fried chicken was the best! I still make it on occasion and truly have a waiting list of friends who claim an invite as soon as they hear I’m making it!
I have fried up to 60 pieces of chicken in one evening, it’s a lot of work but worth it!
This salad has all the flavor of fried chicken but no skin or bones. I also love blue cheese, and the combo of all these ingredients is so good. I invested in a great deep fryer which works perfectly for a small amount of chicken.
Make this salad, trust me it’s a winner!
- 2 large chicken breast, boneless/skinless cut into 3 strips each, similar in size
- 1 quart of buttermilk
- Soak breast at least 6 hours or overnight in buttermilk and several dashes of hot sauce, I like Franks, I really like the flavor.
- Peanut oil or Canola for frying
- Rice flour, this just makes the best crunchy crust! Regular flour can be used as well
- 4 fresh eggs boiled
- 1 bunch broccoli
- 5 strips good bacon
- 4 scallions
- 4 heirloom tomatoes, which ever you can find, I like a combo of color
- 2 hothouse cucumbers, you do not need to peel these, you can just use a regular cucumber as well
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 large head iceberg lettuce
- 1 jar 16 oz. Bob’s bleu cheese dressing, now you can of course make a homemade blue cheese, but this one is really good!
- 1 package of blue cheese crumbles or you can get a piece and crumble which is always good too.
- Salt/pepper to taste
- First thing cut the chicken breast in 3 long pieces, you should have 6 total,
- salt and pepper each piece then dredge in buttermilk, just make sure they are covered in the milk and add several dashes of hot sauce,
- refrigerate for at least 6 hours, overnight even better.
- After soaking take chicken out no need to rinse, discard remaining buttermilk marinade, dredge chicken in the rice flour, seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Now I use a deep fryer for this dish, oil should be between 360 to 365 degrees for frying, if you use another type skillet for frying I would strongly suggest a Cast-iron skillet. When frying a big batch of chicken this is the route I go, but for only a few pieces for this salad I pull out my deep fryer. Make sure chicken is covered with oil if using deep fryer, if using cast-iron only about 2 inches of oil would be ok. This is white meat, no bones or skin it will cook fast!
- After cooked take chicken out , drain and set aside and start to build your salad!
- Cut eggs in half, chop broccoli to desired size, chop scallions, cut tomatoes in quarters, cook your bacon till crisp, this can be done a little earlier so it is cool to handle, cut cucumbers, I like smaller bites. Shred lettuce, and cut avocado in strips. I usually put the lettuce on the bottom, then build from there, top with the crumbles and the dressing, salt/pepper and top with that amazing crispy chicken! Enjoy!